Monday 1 April 2013

Kitchen renovation

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that the company house we're in was due for a kitchen renovation.  And, of course, we recently ended up camping in the backyard while the house was painted internally.

This is the old kitchen:


Out with the old!


And in with the new!



Yep.  I know what you're thinking.  What's the difference?  It's pretty much exactly the same, right?  Well, almost.

We now have a space for a dishwasher.  A dishwasher that we're very unlikely to buy, so thanks for taking away that cupboard that worked beautifully for my Tupperware!  And, of course, there's no flooring under where the cupboard used to be.  At least we now have an out-of-the-way space for the bins!

The upper cupboards are now a bit higher, which the Big Fella loves because he can see when he's making his coffee :-D  The down side though, is that some of the appliances that we'd kept above the cupboards don't fit there any longer.  Poo!

The pantry is the same size as the old one, but has an extra shelf inside.  We still have everything stacked on top of and in front of everything else, but it fits much better.  Yay!

And the drawers have been moved next to the pantry and are bigger so our millions of utensils are easier to find.  Woo hoo!

Oh, and the other difference is that the splashback now goes behind the oven properly so it's easier to clean up.

Unfortunately, the kitchen guys ripped the wall in several places and somehow broke the switchplate for the oven.  No big deal, but being a perfectionist these things bother me every time I look at them.

I almost forgot the absolute BEST part about our new kitchen!!!  I can't believe it, because I've been hanging out for one of these for seven years!!!

Wait for it...

We now have...

(duh, duh, duuuuhhhhhh - that would be the dramatic music!)

A double sink!!!!  YAY!!!!!

I cannot tell you how much I love having a double sink.  I know, it sounds like such a silly thing.  But when you have washing up water in the sink then you need to tip something down the sink, a single is an absolute pain in the butt!

Now, instead of rinsing and stacking up the dishes next to the sink, then sometimes being interrupted a million times before I finally get to washing them up at 10pm, I can have the washing up water there and ready to go as I'm cooking!!!  The little workspace that we have is no longer covered with dishes so it feels like we have more bench space.  Happy sigh.

So there you go!  New paint, new kitchen, and hopefully soon there'll be new flooring too!  It'll feel like a brand new house :-D  Oh wait!  It already does :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment